Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Today begins our IVF journey.

To quote a much overused quote...what a long strange trip it's been. After my husbands vasectomy reversal in January, we tried each cycle to have a baby. Each month we discovered that we were unsuccessful. Finally we opted to have a semen analysis done in order to see what we were up against.

We did the sample at home, following the strict guidelines set up and drove it to the lab on a Thursday. By Monday, my OB/GYN called to see if our surgeon gave us the results. I told her no, and she asked if I wanted her to give them to me. I agreed, and she told me there were no swimmers. Not 1. This is not good. I really wasn't anticipating this.

We did finally hear from the surgeon with the same news, and he wanted to meet with us. We put that off though. I think the shock of the whole thing was enough for now. We did finally decide to see him, and he determined that after seeing how my husbands vasectomy was done to begin with, he is not sure that he would be able to successfully redo it. He refered us for IVF.

Today we had our appointment with The Center for Reproductive Technology. We arrived at 1:05...late as usual for me. They took my weight, and blood pressure, and we sat in a consultation room. The doctor talked to us about our medical histories and our chances. Since I am a relatively young healthy female, and my husband is almost as healthy, we have a 90% chance of IVF success. A 20% chance of twins which has my husband very excited.

We then met with the nurse, who really told us nothing. We did meet with the financial manager. She was great. She outlined the cost. We are looking at around 15000.00 for cycle 1 with everything included. I am not going to get my hopes up for a successful round 1, however; we will freeze any excess embryo's for future use, which will save a lot of money in the long run.

Oddly enough, this all cost us 450.00....

Words are expensive :)

Good night...
Pj

No comments: